At this time of year, we are all in preparation mode for the festivities ahead! A perfect time to get creative, surrounding your homes in wreaths, garlands and festive arrangements! Below is a step-by-step guide on how to create a miniature christmas tree, an activity to get all the family involved to get into the festive spirit!
- 1 x 24cm Floral Wet Cone
- Mossing Pegs or Floristry Green wire
- 1 x Plant stick or Garden Cane
- 1 x 10 Light set decor lites (batteries)
- 1 Bag of preserved Reindeer moss
- 1 x 5 stems of Hypericum
- 1 x 10 Red rose Spray
- 1 x 10 inch posy pad (or base of choice)
- Find the ingredients for your recipe (all available on our website)
- Condition the flowers by cutting the stems, removing any unnecessary foliage and putting into water (ideally 12 hours before creating the arrangement).
- Soak the floral foam cone and posy pad base for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, ensuring there are no air bubbles.
Step by step guide
- Attach to the cone to the posy pad, push the plant stick at an angle from the top of the cone to the base of the posy pad. Remove the visible stick with a pair of scissors – ensure there are no sharp edges
- Attach the set of decor lites to the floral foam cone with the mossing pegs – start at the top and work your way down the cone.
- Once the lights are secured, using mossing pegs or floristry green wire, start attaching the preserved reindeer moss to the cone to create the look of a christmas tree
- Make sure the decor lites are not hidden under the moss
- Once you have finished mossing the body of the floral cone, you can tidy and neaten the appearance of the tree using a pair of scissors
- For decoration purposes, shorten the flower stems to size (approximately 4 to 5cm long) with a pair of scissors
- Randomly place the cut flowers, hypericum and spray roses, into the floral foam cone, just like you would if you were decorating your christmas tree at home
- Attach a star or fairy to the top of the tree using either floristry green wire or mossing pegs.
- Once the floral cone is complete, move on to the posy pad base
- Create a groove in the posy pad to store the battery pack for the decor lites. Make sure the switch is positioned facing outwards for ease of access later on (this will be covered up with a christmas bow at the end)!
- For the base of the christmas tree, you can cover with preserved moss, blue spruce, oak leaves etc. Repeat the process with the floristry green wire or mossing pegs to secure.
- Decorate the base with ribbon and a bow as shown in the photograph. Use the bow to cover up the battery pack!
- If the flowers start to wilt after a while of being in the floral foam, simply replace or add dried fruit or cones as an alternative decoration.